|UT Southwestern Medical Center||Dallas, TX||12 months||1 Student|
Physician Assistant Postgraduate Residency Program
The Physician Assistant Postgraduate Urology Residency Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center prepares a physician assistant (PA) interested in urology for a productive career. Our program emphasizes all clinical, research, and teaching aspects of urology so that the trainee completing our program has the ability to independently function as a urology physician assistant.
- Close PA-M.D. mentoring relationship with urology faculty
- Well-established didactic program (weekly pre-operative conference, M&M conference, monthly journal club, weekly grand rounds, and attendance at national and specialty meetings)
- Vast and diverse exposure to the field of urology, including access to the emergency room and inpatient activities at both UT Southwestern University Hospitals, in addition to first assist training in a wide variety of robotic urologic surgical procedures
Our one-year training program is divided into two sections:
- The first section (four to six months) is spent learning about the main subspecialty areas of urology by rotating for four to six weeks in BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia/LUTS (Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms), stone and mineral metabolism, urologic oncology, female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery, and reconstructive urology, prosthetics, and trauma.
- The second section allows growing autonomy with inpatient consults at both University Hospitals, outpatient clinics at the Aston Ambulatory Care Center, and operating room time at Zale Lipshy University Hospital. The physician assistant will not participate in call schedule at night or for weekend coverage.
The physician assistant is expected to attend and actively participate in weekly Urology Pre-Op conferences and Grand Rounds, monthly Urology Journal Clubs, the annual Urology Department postgraduate course (the Paul C. Peters Symposium), and various other educational activities throughout the year.
The Physician Assistant Postgraduate Urology Residency Program offers a competitive salary and benefits package:
- A stipend ($60,000) is awarded annually
- As an employee of UT Southwestern, the physician assistant will be eligible for a complete benefits package, which includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous holiday, vacation, and sick leave benefits
Application materials should include:
- Physician Assistant Program transcripts
- Certificate of graduation from an ARC-PA accredited Physician Assistant (PA) program
- Certification from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Either be eligible for or have a Texas Medical License (for Physician Assistants)
- Basic Life Support certification (BLS)
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum vitae and/or resume
- Two letters of recommendation. If you have graduated within three years, one recommendation must be from your PA program director. If currently employed as a PA, one must be from a current supervising physician.
Admission to the program will be on a rolling basis and will be based on a telephone and/or personal interview process. Applications will be accepted in August 2016 for a planned February 2017 start date.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA