|WakeMed Health and Hospitals||Raleigh, NC||12 months||3|
Surgical Physician Assistant Residency
Expert Training for Tomorrow’s Critical Care Specialists
A postgraduate residency is a wonderful way to attain additional training and skills. At WakeMed Health & Hospitals, we pride ourselves on providing high-quality, evidence-based practices for our patients. Participants in the Postgraduate Residency Program receive the intense clinical and didactic training necessary to gain proficiency and marketability in the areas of trauma, critical care, general and orthopaedic surgery.
Program Mission & Vision
The WakeMed Health & Hospitals Physician Assistant Residency Program is dedicated to innovation and the future of medicine by creating proficient and dedicated physician assistants capable of administering exceptional patient care. We strive to remain at the forefront of PA education by providing licensed physician assistants with the knowledge and technical skills required to excel in the surgical subspecialties.
Program Faculty & Curriculum
Our Physician Assistant Residency Program faculty includes board-certified trauma and critical care surgeons, orthopaedic surgeons, physician assistants and nurse practitioners. Participants will also train with a diverse health care team including surgical residents and interns from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Didactic curriculum is offered in a variety of methods, including:
- Mortality and Morbidity Conference
- Educational Lectures & Seminars weekly
- One-on-one Education
- ATLS, ACLS, BLS, PALS certifications provided
PA Residents are integrated into a diverse team with a clinical focus on the management of surgical patients in the following settings:
- Outpatient Clinic
- Pre- and Post-operative
- Intensive Care
- Four rotations – each three months in length in trauma, general surgery, surgical critical care and orthopaedic surgery
- Training in a Level I Trauma Center
- Stipend and full benefits package including food vouchers for on call duties
- Duty hours are typical of surgical residents and follow ACGME guidelines
- One resident accepted per year with the next available start date of September 2017
- Application deadline: April 1, 2017
- Strong interest in trauma, critical care, general surgery, orthopaedics
- Graduate of or on track to graduate from an ARC-PA accredited PA program
- Obtain NCCPA certifications, NC Medical License and WakeMed medical staff privileges prior to matriculation into the program
- Complete WakeMed application and Human Resources requirements, including personal statement, CV, transcripts, copies of certifications and diplomas and three letters of reference
Our System Includes
- 919 beds
- More than 8,000 employees
- 2 full-service hospitals and a dedicated women’s hospital
- 7 full-service 24/7 emergency departments, including a dedicated Children’s ED on the Raleigh Campus
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- 3 Healthplexes
- Outpatient facilities across the region
- Area’s only inpatient rehabilitation hospital
- Multi-specialty physician practices
About the Area
WakeMed Health & Hospitals is located in Raleigh, North Carolina, a fast-growing metropolitan region with outlying rural communities. Consistently rated in national surveys as one of the best places to live in the United States, Raleigh and the Research Triangle area offer an endless array of cultural and entertainment opportunities.
In addition, our proximity to nearby academic institutions (Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake Forest University) and innovative industry giants in Research Triangle Park foster a high-tech, intellectual, and diverse cultural community. Combine all of this with our mild climate and the natural beauty of the region and you have a winning combination.